Lincoln Cathedral is one of the finest medieval buildings in Europe, which towers above Lincoln, a prominent landmark for miles around.
The imposing West Front incorporates the surviving part of the first Romanesque Cathedral dating from 1072. Most of the Cathedral dates from the 13th century when, inspired by the leadership of St Hugh (Bishop from 1186-1200), the Cathedral was re-built in the new gothic style. Later generations added the wonderful carved screen, the 14th century misericords, the Wren Library and the Duncan Grant frescoes.
Of course it is people who have made Lincoln Cathedral what it is today: bishops and kings, saints and sinners, pilgrims and worshippers. Do you know about the two very different love stories commemorated here, or of the bishop/saint who stood up to Henry II but did not get murdered, and what of the famous Lincoln Imp?
The story of the people and the place is preserved in the Library with its valuable collection of historic books and manuscripts.
It is responsible for one of the extant copies of the Magna Carta as well as the Lincoln Chapter Bible (c1100) and has a school book from 1410 with the first recorded rhyme about Robin Hood.
The never ending task of maintaining the Cathedral falls to our works department. Lincoln is one of only three cathedrals that preserves traditional skills through its team of thirty craftsmen and women - stonemasons, glaziers, plumbers, carpenters, conservators and archivists.
Text © Lincoln Cathedral