Welcome to Athelhampton House
The estate and gardens have been in private ownership for over five hundred years.
The Great Hall is the heart of Athelhampton House. Built in 1485, it would have served as the entire accommodation, then greatly added to throughout the centuries as the house became domesticated. With its linenfold paneling heraldic stained glass, large fireplace and historic furnishings, the Great Hall is a fine example of Tudor Architecture.
From the Great Hall you can enter the various rooms that make Athelhampton House, The Great Chamber and Library in the East Wing, through the The Kings Room, past the Wine Cellar and then upstairs to the Library. Then upward into the second floor to the Gallery, showing examples of the work of the artist Marevna who lived at Athelhampton from 1948 - 1957.
The West Wing houses a fine dining room, The Yellow Bedroom & State Bedroom, The Dressing Room and bathroom with a copper bath.
The Athelhampton gardens are full of variety, the formal architecture is balanced by woodland scenes. The formal gardens were built between 1891 - 1899 by Alfred Cart de Lafontaine.