Chateau d'Urtubie was first built in 1341 and has belonged to the same family since then. It was constructed by Martin d'Urtubie with the permission of King Edward iii of England (and Duke of Aquitaine).
It was razed to the ground by a fire in the late 15th-century and transformed in the 16th- and 18th-centuries, with the last two alterations were made in 1745.
Chateau d'Urtubie interior is well worth a visit. There are 17th-century Flemish tapestries and other furnishings from the 17th-, 18th- and 19th- centuries. There is also a museum and exceptional gardens to visit.
Former residents include Louis XI 1463 and Louis xiv 1654. During the Napoleonic wars Soult and Wellington also stayed here .
It is now also a hotel with beautifully appointed rooms.